THE APPLICATION WINDOW IS NOW OPEN! Submissions will be accepted from March 1 through May 31.
From the pool of submissions, No Depression will invite 5 finalists to compete for the No Depression Singer-Songwriter Award. On the festival weekend, the finalists will travel to North Adams and perform in front of a jury and a large live audience. The jury will select a runner-up and winner, and they will be announced Sunday afternoon from the main stage.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRANTS and PRIZES
All five finalists will get the following:
• $500 award grant each (but you must show up on the festival weekend and perform in the competition in order to collect this)
• One 45-minute set on the Courtyard C stage on Saturday or Sunday
• One pop-up performance in the museum on Saturday or Sunday
• Complimentary three-day pass to the festival for each finalist
• Permission to sell your albums at the festival (if applicable)
• Name listed in the FreshGrass 2017 line up online and in any marketing materials
• Chance to win the runner-up or grand prize!
Runner-up: $500 additional cash grant
1st Place: $2,500 additional cash grant, Full day recording session with Alison Brown at Compass Records, and a main stage performance slot at FreshGrass 2018
• There is no fee or payment of any kind to enter the contest.
• All participants must fill out the online submission form HERE to be considered for a finalist slot.
• You must submit 2 original songs. No co-writes accepted.
• You may not be signed to a record label or be subject to a pre-existing third-party publisher agreement. Self-released CDs and DIY distribution are OK.
• Finalists will be chosen by the organizers based on the merits of their lyrics (25%), music (25%), instrumentation (25%), and overall performance (25%).
• Each finalist will play two original songs in front of the jury and a large live audience.
• This must be a solo performance.
• Your instrument should be in hand and portable, and playable into a mic (no keyboards or plugged-in instruments).
• You will have a maximum of 10 minutes on stage (not including set-up), or 5 minutes per song. Songs that go over 5 minutes will negatively affect your score.
• Both songs must be original and written only by the performer. No co-writes allowed.
• The jury will be looking for dynamic range in your choice of song tempos, rhythms, and tone.
• You must provide your own lodging and transportation to and from the festival.
• The live competition will be recorded and, at the discretion of FreshGrass, may be included in a FreshGrass compilation video, or may be aired on PBS, or streamed on No Depression.