RECORDING SESSION AT COMPASS
ON-STAGE PERFORMANCE AT FRESHGRASS 2015
The Best Duo First Prize winner will be invited to a one-day recording session at Compass Records in Nashville, Tennessee, including studio time, engineering, and production/mentoring from Compass Records’ Alison Brown. The duo must provide its own lodging and transportation to and from Nashville, and the date must be scheduled in advance with Compass. Additional recording time at Compass Records, if desired, will be offered at a specially discounted FreshGrass rate, subject to studio time availability at Compass.
SECOND PRIZE: $500 CASH
THIRD PRIZE: $250 CASH
OTHER FINALISTS: $150 HONORARIUM PER DUO
All finalists will be given a complimentary three-day pass to the festival and will be guaranteed at least two pop-up performances throughout the weekend. All finalists are permitted to sell albums in the FreshGrass merchandise room.
There is no fee or payment of any kind to enter the contest. All participants must submit the two video recordings described below. In addition, the five finalists must provide their own lodging and transportation to and from the FreshGrass festival, and must appear in person to play before a jury to be considered for the cash prizes. The live competition will be recorded and, at the discretion of FreshGrass, may be included in a FreshGrass 2013 compilation album to be co-produced with Compass Records.
Band Size: 2 Members
Please fill out the competition application form, including links to YouTube or Vimeo video recordings of two songs: 1) one traditional (public domain) bluegrass tune; and 2) one original composition written by one or more band members. The videos must be no longer than five minutes each, and should be from 2014.
The contest stage will be set up with a line of vocal and instrument mics.
The band must include at least two of the following instruments: banjo, acoustic guitar, dobro/steel guitar, mandolin, fiddle, or bass. No drums, no electricity (except electric bass is okay, and box and other creative percussion is okay). At least one of the two video submissions must have vocal harmonies for the application to be considered.
While the Award will focus on fresh approaches within the bluegrass genre, the jurors will also be listening for music that demonstrates a high level of proficiency in traditional – as well as contemporary – bluegrass singing and playing techniques.
No band member may participate in more than one duo, or participate in the ensemble contest. Banjoists in bands are welcome to also participate in the banjo contest.
No competing duo may be signed to a record label or be subject to a pre-existing third-party publisher agreement. Self-released CDs and DIY distribution are not disqualifying.
Submissions will be accepted from 12am EST on April 15, 2014, through 11:59pm EST on August 5, 2014. No submissions will be accepted prior to or after that submission period.
To always hear the latest news about the contest be sure to check the “FreshGrass” checkbox.
The Jurors will be announced in July, 2013. Note that depending on the number of submissions, the FreshGrass festival organizers may, based on their own evaluation of the award criteria, select a group of semi-finalists to be submitted to the jury for the jury’s selection of finalists.
The five finalist duos will be notified and announced in mid-August 2014, and a list of the finalists will be posted on this website.
The FreshGrass organizers and jurors can disqualify submissions for any reason, including poor-quality video. Moreover, the jurors will select the First, Second and Third Prize winners based on their discretion applying the criteria set forth below; the decision of the jury will be binding and final.
AT THE FESTIVAL
The five (5) finalist duos will play two songs for the jury. They will have a maximum of 10 minutes on stage, inclusive of both songs. Set-up time is 5 minutes. One of the songs must be a traditional (public domain) bluegrass tune, and one must be original material, written by one or more members of the band. At least one must include vocal harmonies. We prefer to hear music other than the songs you submitted by video, though that is not a requirement. The jurors will also be looking for dynamic range in your choice of song tempos, rhythms, and tone. Mix it up for us!
Scoring will be based on the following criteria:
Instrumental and vocal skill: 35%
Proficiency in the tradition: 25%
Winners will be announced on-stage at FreshGrass 2014 and on this website following the festival.
Participants will be required to enter into a Submission Agreement in order to enter the contest. Please read these Official Rules and Submission Agreement carefully and in their entirety prior to entering the contest, and do not enter the contest unless you agree to all terms and conditions of both these Official Rules and the Submission Agreement. Please sign the check box on the official entry form to indicate your agreement.
1. Ownership. All of the content of this Site (which includes without limitation all graphics, text, photographs, illustrations, images and the design, selection and arrangement thereof) is protected by copyright and/or trademark and/or other proprietary intellectual property rights owned by or licensed to MASS MoCA, FreshGrass, LLC, or their affiliates.
3. User Content. You grant us a license to use the materials you post to the Site; provided, however, that such license is subject to the terms and conditions of the Submission Agreement and the Official Rules, as they may apply to you. By posting, downloading, displaying, performing, transmitting, or otherwise distributing information or other content (“User Content”) to the Site, you are granting us, our affiliates, officers, directors, employees, consultants, agents, and representatives a license to use User Content in connection with the FreshGrass Festival and this Site, including without limitation, a right to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate, and reformat User Content. You will not be compensated for any User Content. You agree that we may publish or otherwise disclose your name in connection with your User Content. By posting User Content on the Site, you warrant and represent that you own the rights to the User Content or are otherwise authorized to post, distribute, display, perform, transmit, or otherwise distribute User Content.
4. Compliance with Intellectual Property Laws. When accessing the Site, you agree to obey the law and to respect the intellectual property rights of others. Your use of the Site is at all times governed by and subject to laws regarding copyright ownership and use of intellectual property. You agree not to upload, download, display, perform, transmit, or otherwise distribute any information or content (collectively, “Content”) in violation of any third party’s copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights. You agree to abide by laws regarding copyright ownership and use of intellectual property, and you shall be solely responsible for any violations of any relevant laws and for any infringements of third party rights caused by any Content you provide or transmit, or that is provided or transmitted using your User ID. The burden of proving that any Content does not violate any laws or third party rights rests solely with you.
6. Copyright Infringement. We have in place certain legally mandated procedures regarding allegations of copyright infringement occurring on the Site. We have adopted a policy that provides for the immediate suspension and/or termination of any Site user who is found to have infringed on the rights of Company or of a third party, or otherwise violated any intellectual property laws or regulations. Company’s policy is to investigate any allegations of copyright infringement brought to its attention. If you have evidence, know, or have a good faith belief that your rights or the rights of a third party have been violated and you want Company to delete, edit, or disable the material in question, you must provide Company with all of the following information: (a) a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly infringed; (b) identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works; (c) identification of the material that is claimed to be infringed or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit Company to locate the material; (d) information reasonably sufficient to permit Company to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and if available, an electronic mail address at which you may be contacted; (e) a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and (f) a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed. For this notification to be effective, you must provide it to Company’s designated agent at:
[Insert address where such notices will be received]
8. No Warranties. WE HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES. WE ARE MAKING THE SITE AVAILABLE “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. YOU ASSUME THE RISK OF ANY AND ALL DAMAGE OR LOSS FROM USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE SITE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NONINFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE.
9. Limited Liability. OUR LIABILITY TO YOU IS LIMITED. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL WE BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, OR LOST DATA, REGARDLESS OF THE FORESEEABILITY OF THOSE DAMAGES) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS OR SERVICES PROVIDED TO YOU BY US. This limitation shall apply regardless of whether the damages arise out of breach of contract, tort, or any other legal theory or form of action.
11. Prohibited Uses. We impose certain restrictions on your permissible use of the Site. You are prohibited from violating or attempting to violate any security features of the Site, including, without limitation, (a) accessing content or data not intended for you, or logging onto a server or account that you are not authorized to access; (b) attempting to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of the Site, or any associated system or network, or to breach security or authentication measures without proper authorization; (c) interfering or attempting to interfere with service to any user, host, or network, including, without limitation, by means of submitting a virus to the Site, overloading, “flooding,” “spamming,” “mail bombing,” or “crashing;” (d) using the Site to send unsolicited e-mail, including, without limitation, promotions, or advertisements for products or services; (e) forging any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any e-mail or in any posting using the Site; or (f) attempting to modify, reverse-engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reduce or attempt to reduce to a human-perceivable form any of the source code used by us in providing the Site. Any violation of system or network security may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability.
13. Copyright. All contents of Site are: Copyright © 2014 FreshGrass, LLC, _ _[company address]_ _. All rights reserved.
16. No License. Nothing contained on the Site should be understood as granting you a license to use any of the trademarks, service marks, or logos owned by us or by any third party.